Saturday, February 1, 2020

Where the Truth Lies

"We hold these truths
To be self-evident..."

Hey, you're obsessed with truth,
With words rung true.
What difference does it make?
They're all just words.
It's all just words.

You'd think it mattered
That what I say is what I mean.
That what I say beds down with facts.
Have you not been paying attention?
Have you not been playing along?
Have you not read the small print
That says, "what I just said
Was maybe bullshit;
It may not really work like that,
Not for you, anyway."
Lying.
It's an industry.
It's a TV channel.
It's a lifestyle.
It's a political party.
It's a new religion.

When I apply to run the world,
I'll talk about how bad he is,
How she really hates everything you love,
How horribly he'll remake your world.
So vote for me!
And many will
Mostly because
I wouldn't wanna drink a beer with him, or
Because he's the wrong color
Or he's got the wrong philosophy
Or the wrong party
Or the wrong sex
Or the wrong religion
Or loves the wrong others.
Nudge, nudge, wink, wink,
We have names for him,
Never spoken, but edged in acid
And delivered with a conspiratorial grin.

It doesn't matter where the truth lies
If it fits your needs.
Shape it how you want it
Just by saying it's so!
Then repeat it 'til they believe it.
It's so much easier
Than actually working for it.
Democracy is way too picky anyway,
And way too damned expensive,
It expects too much of us.
And what difference will it make?
We won't be around
To pick up the tab.

No comments: